I had this one coming for a while. I wanted to paint a tree but I never got the courage to do it. Instead on focusing on the struggles I will focus on the lessons learned.
- Start with a very light shade of color on the areas that stick out. This prevents having open gaps an losing where the branches have to go
- Paint light branches on the areas they are visible
- Blot on some leaves and try to follow the hue and shading of the tree
- Add highlights and darks later to give it depth
- Oversaturate the brush to get consistent darker lines
That last part hit me like an ‘aha’ moment when the branches didn’t want to stuck out.
All these above insights I did not start out with, but learned while being in the progress.